AirTable – and why we love it
If you stumbled across this post, you might either be in search of a new project management software or perhaps we asked you to login into one of our AirTable bases to log your comments or track the progress of your project with us. Either way, look no further! In this post, you’ll get an understanding of how we use AirTable, and why we really love it.
What is AirTable?
AirTable is a project management software launched in 2012. ‘But we are already on Slack, Trello and Asana, why would we use yet another one?’ Well, because it is not just another one. AirTable is designed to be a database, spreadsheet, and project management app combined. It allows users to set up column types, link tables to one another, collaborate with your team, sort and filter records and publish views to external websites and more: everything you need from Excel, but with the functionality of Asana, the flexibility of Notion and UX of Trello. AirTable is a free platform (although some features are premium only) which you can access on the web, download it for Windows and Mac and on your phone (both iOS and Android).
AirTable allows you to organise your work, alone or in your team. Many cool features are included in the free version: let’s explore them.
- The native and desktop apps make it easy to edit, comment, and collaborate in real-time, so changes are instantly synced across everyone’s devices.
- Your space is divided into Workspaces: you can think of it as a folder containing all the relevant boards, or what AirTable calls bases. You can create a new base from scratch or choose from many available templates, or duplicate an existing one.
- Customise every column in your spreadsheet: you can add attachments, checkboxes, multiple due dates, stakeholders, links, anything you can think of!
- Set up the perfect view: you can filter, sort, and group by a selected attribute to make sure you find what you need immediately.
- Link data between tables: you will never need to duplicate data entry or edit. Just change what you need once!
Integrate with apps you already use, such as Google Calendar, Google Drive, Dropbox or even Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. See all the integrations here.
How we use it
AirTable gives you a lot of flexibility, so you can set up your space in infinite ways. Here at Lattimore and Friends we mostly have four workspaces:
- Each Project Manager has their own individual workspace, where they create their own to-do lists and – and perhaps other private bases. For example, AirTable can be the perfect tool to plan your wedding – as suggested by one of our clients – and track your house plants care!
- A company-wide workspace, where we track the status of the projects we’re working on, calculate quotes for clients, document our process, update our marketing calendar and more. There are so many ways you can set up your own company workspace, but we suggest using the templates: they can save you a lot of time, and you can always customise them to your needs later.
- A client feedback workspace, in which every base is a different project that gets shared between Lattimore and Friends and the client and it is usually divided into two tabs: front and back end. This is a very important space for us, as it allows us to collect feedback during the website development process. Here, clients can describe the issue, upload screenshots, etc.
- An internal QA fixes workspace, in which we log all of the client feedback and the QA checks for the developers to fix.
Conclusion: why we love it
AirTable offers a fun way to organise and track your projects quickly. We really love it because:
- We did not encounter any major bugs or problems during its use;
- With probably the largest free selection of templates, it is quick and easy to create new ad hoc bases for all of our projects need;
- It is very easy for people outside of the organisation to access spreadsheets, comment and upload attachments
Airtable takes the static spreadsheet and turns it into a powerful tool for any project.
We believe this software helped us to be more efficient and productive. If you never tried it before and you’re looking for a new all-in-one project management software, don’t look any further!